Stone Steps


I apologize for the abnormally large image size - Blogger auto-compresses all my JPGs, so I'm forced to use PNGs instead.

So. Another mini-project. Modeled and textured in Zbrush, with some light post processing. Just diffuse, shadow and specular maps.

---

First thing I noticed about doing stairs? It's a little tedious; 12 blocks plus 9 slabs is quite the undertaking. I think creating one block, maybe two, fully detailed, is the standard procedure. You just rotate 'em around so you make use of all the sides. I figured I could use the practice, plus it's pretty much the entire set, so I did each face individually. Those slabs were a lot more fun to sculpt. It's strangely satisfying to chip and break off huge chunks.

My moss is very blobby. I don't quite know how to pull it off without using crazy high poly counts, as it's sculpted directly on to the stair blocks. Perhaps I should try building large moss patches individually?  

As a whole, it's a little bland again. Boring textures, perhaps. I'm not sure, but something is off. I did put a couple of tiny plants in there. Barely noticeable as always, I should have ignored the reference and scaled them all the way up. There's 4 plant bunches, can you spot them all?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise