Plank [Render Test]


My level of dissatisfaction with my renders has been high of late. The images from the figure sculpting exercise from Maya seem much better, though. Conclusion: time for some detective work!

The plank was modeled and painted in ZBrush. Rendering was done in both ZBrush and Maya. The model in Maya had normal and displacement maps.

There was minimal post processing for the ZBrush render, I just added shadows and ambient occlusion. I matched up the lighting, colours and shadows as best as I could.

So, which one was rendered in Maya, and which one's from ZBrush?

---

The plank at the top was rendered in ZBrush. Apart from the lower one looking a little chunkier due to the displacement map, they are almost identical. Which doesn't really give me any answers - yet.

In terms of workflow, it's much easier to do in ZBrush. Maya requires low poly models, so you'll need to bake displacement maps, fiddle with subdivision approximation (MentalRay), all that stuff. Anyway, it's mostly irrelevant to me; I'm lazy, but I don't mind doing a spot of hustling to get a better shot. As such, this experiment is inconclusive.

Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise