Figure Sculpting #1



After spending so much time on each project, I felt it would be a nice change in pace to work on something simpler. No texturing, no high-res detailing, just good old sculpting. Mmmmmm.

Modeling was done in ZBrush, rendering in Maya. No post processing this time!

---

More angles:





I felt especially like a fraud in this one. This was intended to be an anatomy study - I had all my reference material muscling it up on my screen and everything! The idea was to pick a subject to duplicate, get a base mesh down, then add the musculature. Starting with the main muscle groups, then building on top of those until completion. So I tried it out. I'm naming muscle groups to myself as I'm adding them, and everything is fine and dandy until I get to the second layer. Apparently, muscles are not lasagne. They're a lot more complex than that, all inter-twining and stuff. I had my ass handed to me. Eventually, I caved and did the sculpt based solely on my source images. No advanced understanding of anatomy, just plain old copying. I'm think I'm going to need more than just a folder of reference, I need something more structured, like an anatomy book or perhaps a video documentary. What was your approach?  

This mini-project marks the first time I used Decimation Master in ZBrush. It allowed me to import the torso into Maya with a substantially lower poly count, but with very little loss in detail; there was no need for displacement maps or anything like that. Amazing stuff, I wished I had learned to use it earlier. It's definitely a tool I'd be incorporating into my workflow in the future. That is, until I start caring more about topology.

I was also eager to try out something different for lighting my models (the previous two had no rendered backgrounds at all, too), so I took another shot at rendering in Maya. Just a simple backdrop with portal lights, something I'd read about earlier. I don't know about you, but those minimalistic renders look better than EVERYTHING I've done so far. And that's without post-processing in PS!

It's enough to give someone an existential crisis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise