WIP: The Twins [Terraria]



WIP for the cannon and aperture.

---


Finished the hull, moving on to the rest! 

 ---


More details. This should be the baseline for the rest of the panels.

---


Alright, I was wrong. With the gun in place, the whole thing looks too noisy. So I'm RE-deviating (reviating?) back to something much more similar to the original concept. My consultant told me that perhaps I should have built the cannon first (it being the central piece), then worked on the hull, which may have headed off silly design ideas. Live and eventually learn.

Anyway, here's a hasty screen cap of the mid level sculpt of proposed damage detail.

---


Base meshes for the aperture and forward frame thingies.

---


Laser cannon base mesh. Chunky!

---


Mid-level panel detailing finished. I deviated from my initial idea of a smooth surface with panel grooves to add a little more visual complexity, and get more practice doing panel-ly things. I'll holster the sleek aesthetics for a future project.

---


Base mesh and panel cut outs - Clean up and detailing to follow. Working on a hard surface sphere is a bit more challenging and tedious than I previously anticipated. The panels and lines need to follow the curvature closely, or they'd wind up looking distorted from other angles. This pretty much prevented me from using my regular tools and/or methods, such as DragRect.

---


A little change in formula. Instead of one big post every time I complete a project, I'll now post updates as I hit milestones. Also, I had to get back to the drawing board - so projects are now going to be fortified with the wholesome goodness of 2d art. I want to get some orthos (orthographic images) going, at the very least.

So, here we go. Here's a simple piece of art for Retinazer, just to flesh out some of the details. I intend to work on each eye separately and not in tandem, so I'll model this one first. That way, I should be able to learn from my mistakes when I tackle the more complex of the two.

---

More hard surface practice! The Twins are a boss from the game Terraria, an action-adventure sandbox game. Get it from GOG here, you won't regret it!

Here's what they look like in-game, image courtesy of Gamepedia:


They start out as the pair on the left, and reveal their true forms after taking enough damage from the player. The top eye, Retinazer, barrages the player with lasers. The bottom, Spazmatism, chases the player at high speeds while breathing green fire. Green. Eyeball-mouth. Awesome!

1 comment:

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise