Frog on an Octopus?



Wow, you came all the way back here? I like you :)

This is my first project, where I picked simple cartoon subjects to work on. Easing myself in and all that.

All assets were modeled, textured and unwrapped in ZBrush, while rendering and water effects were done in Maya. I used displacement maps and normal maps, too. Being new to compositing and post processing, I only rendered out a few passes - just a colour pass and an AO pass. Comp was done in Photoshop.

---

Sub-par, I'd say. I wasn't very happy with how this turned out. The background is just plain weird - it doesn't really fit the scene, or is at least poorly executed. A little more physical variation to the terrain would have been beneficial, too. More importantly, I think the busy background dulls the impact of the frog's colours. If you thought the water was thrown in as an afterthought (which is barely noticeable, I've been told), you would be right!

I'm also not-so-pleased to present my "concept art". As mentioned in the About page, my art skills are pretty lacking. As part of my learning, I decided that I needed to draw at least one concept piece for each project I did. So I churned out this rudimentary doodle.


Let me tell you, it was a bit of a struggle modeling the scene with just that image. I thought I could just position octopus guy's tentacles on the fly, loosely following the concept. Turns out I'm apparently incompetent at randomness. When viewed from the top, you could see the uniformity of it all. Opposing tentacles were especially similar - in placement, angles, even the way they were posed. Highly unnatural, not to mention boring.

I'm not very good at doing stuff on the fly, and I should have known better. If you're like me, don't be a lazy ass (me) and do the orthographic views!

---

If you can think of a better title, let me know. I think Frogctopus would have been misleading, and would have been much cooler, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise